- What should I look for in an online psychology school?
The best online psychology schools should either possess regional or national accreditation from an accrediting body that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.In addition, you can often recognize top online psychology schools based on:
- The school’s name and status
- The school’s history
- Teacher credentials
- Alumni network
In choosing the best online psychology school for you, you should consider the following factors:
- Admission requirements
- Residency requirements
- Class and teaching style
- Testing methods used
- Course content and presentation
- Program length
- Class size
- Student-teacher interaction
- Technology use
- Tuition and financial aid
- Transferability of credits
- Availability of a dedicated administration team and resources
- What levels of online psychology programs are available?
The following levels of psychology degree online programs are available:
- Online Psychology Certificate Programs
- Online Associates in Psychology
- Online Bachelor in Psychology
- Online Masters in Psychology
- Online PhD in Psychology
- How long does it take to get an online psychology degree?
The amount of time it takes a student to earn an accredited online psychology degree depends on the level of psychology degree being pursued and the pace of the student.Typically, the breakdown is as follows:
- Online Psychology Certification Programs – 6 months to 1 year
- Online Psychology Associates Degree – 2 years
- Online Psychology Bachelor Degree – 4 years
- Online Psychology Masters – 2 years
- Online Psychology PhD – 2 to 5 years
- What are some examples of online psychology courses?
Good online psychology training programs and popular online psychology degrees will offer psychology courses that cover a broad spectrum of the psychology field. While most online psychology certification programs will require some of the same core psychology classes, because most psychology students have a specific interest, there will be a number of courses offered to address their interests, such as behavioral disorders or child psychology.
- Child Psychology
One of the most popular specializations of those hoping to earn a top online psychology degree is child psychology, so most every online psychology degree program will offer at least one course that deals solely with how a child’s psychology is developed. Students will also learn how to apply their knowledge to professions that deal with children.
- Human Development
In a course on human development, students will study a variety of psychological theories. The best online psychology degree will require multiple courses in this field for all psychology students, as it is considered a building block for every popular online psychology degree
A popular online psychology school will offer a class on the study of personality differences and disorders, and how a person’s personality type may affect his or her decisions and behavior. Students will study a number of personality systems, and learn how the theory applies to psychology professions like prison counseling and school psychology.
Many students who have earned top online psychology degrees seek psychology professions that have some element of research involved. Therefore, a course in the administering of effective surveys and the gathering, maintenance, and interpretation of data will be required at most accredited online psychology schools.
- Cognitive Psychology
The study of cognitive psychology is one of the most fundamental elements of online psychology certificate programs. Students will study topics including memory, perception, reasoning, problem solving, and language, with special emphasis on the neurological functions in each of these categories.
- Child Psychology
- What areas of psychology specialization are available?
A psychologist can choose to specialize in a number of areas related to psychology, ranging from behavioral to cognitive. Within these areas, they may choose to specialize even more narrowly; for example, a cognitive psychologist may specifically study short-term memory. Some specializations chosen by psychologists are:
- Early Childhood Psychology
- Adolescent Psychology
- Bipolar Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Cultural Psychology
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Learning Psychology
- Industrial Psychology
- What can I do with a psychology degree?
Most individuals who graduate from a top online psychology school do so because they seek to become a psychologist in some field, but these psychology jobs usually require at least a master’s degree in psychology, and often a PhD in psychology as well. However, knowledge of people and their mental processes can also be considered a marketable skill in other psychology-related career fields. Some of these psychology jobs may include:
- School Psychologist
- Juvenile Corrections Officer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Psychology Research Assistant
- Consumer Advocate
- Marketing or Advertising Specialist
- Business Administrator
- Group Therapist
- Social Worker
- What is a psychologist?
- A psychologist is someone who works within the field of psychology, whether teaching or researching for an accredited online psychology school, or practicing as a psychiatrist, therapist, or counselor. They are often considered scientists.
- What does a psychologist do?
- A psychology major may find a psychology job in a variety of settings, and this setting will affect what exact responsibilities they have in their profession, but the best online psychology degrees can prepare them for any position. Psychologists often work in group or individual settings to help people find solutions to their personal problems, possibly in a school, a social organization like Alcoholics Anonymous or a prison reform group, or in a private practice. Some psychology majors find employment with social work organizations, such as adoption agencies. A psychologist may also be responsible for writing and administering surveys and interpreting the data to apply it to various situations and studies. In other cases, a psychologist will be responsible for consulting with businesses on how best to market their products based on the way people react to advertising.
- How much does a psychologist earn?
- Traditional psychology professionals, encompassing research and practicing psychologists, earn an average of $64,140 annually, but an individual’s exact salary will vary significantly based on their level of education, specialization, place of employment, and level of experience. Industrial-organizational psychologists, those who usually work with business, have a higher average salary of $77,010. However, those holding a psychology degree may not seek employment as a psychologist, so psychology majors who work as social workers or marketing specialists will find varying salary levels. The demand for psychologists is expected to grow about as fast as the average, but competition among applicants holding only a bachelor’s degree is expected to be highly difficult, so holding a PhD in psychology will make finding employment as a psychologist easier.
- How do I become a psychologist?
- Accredited online psychology degrees are necessities on any psychology resume. Becoming a psychologist requires, at the very least, a bachelor’s degree in psychology. Most of the time, a master’s degree, and possibly even a PhD, is a prerequisite for employers. Most psychologists also have some volunteer history in their chosen field, possibly having worked with professors on various studies at their university, or having interned with an organization that provides psychological services to people.